WeHuntSC.com Blog


Blog Entries from the WeHuntSC.com blogging crew

Christmas weekend, Hunting, & a Stomach Virus

First and foremost I would like to say that I hope you and yours had a very Merry Christmas!  We had a good one and it?s always good to get to see family and be able to give gifts to the special people in our lives.  

The Recap
I took Wednesday off and my friend Lee Mills came in to town on Tuesday evening.  We hung out and went deer hunting on Wednesday morning.  Lee is a nurse and works odd hours and, because of this, he has developed odd sleeping hours/habits and can sleep or wake at any time.  Needless to say, at 5:30 he came in my room with a bright light on my face and a video camera conducting an interview.  I knew he was up to something as he was giggling as he was talking.  I regained my vision and started getting up once I realized that I wasn?t seeing a bright light because I had just died and was on my way out.  I guess everybody?s got a friend like that... do you?
We were up early and getting dressed to go and I had everything we needed for a successful hunt.  We were heading to a buddy stand that would hold both of us.  We were trying to get some video for the site again.  I got in the truck first and as Lee came and sat down in the truck I smelled a strong whisk of cologne as the air moved in the truck with him.  I looked at him and said ?Lee, what do you have on under the camouflage?  We?re not going to a night club, we?re going deer hunting.  The deer are going to smell your freaking cologne a mile away.  Couldn?t you have worn any other shirts??  So I made him get out of the truck and at 32 degrees I sprayed him down with Scent-Away and soaked his upper body.  He laughed, but he was also not happy to be getting wet when it was so cold.  At this point, I knew that it would probably not be the best scenario for a good chance at a deer, but you never know.  So we went hunting and sat in a buddy stand for about 2.5 hours and then we had to go.  I couldn?t feel my fingers and I imagined all the deer (if there were any nearby) smelled Lee?s cologne and were probably laughing at us.  
  WeHuntSC.com Vinyl Sticker on Hummer
   Close up view of WeHuntSC.com sticker on Hummer
After the hunt we, of course, went to Bojangles and then went and got 200 pounds of corn.  We returned back to the woods and put out corn on 4 different stands including the one we had just sat in.  The deer had absolutely pawed the ground to bare dirt eating the corn we had out.  Since the deer were eating corn again I wanted to give them all they wanted right here before the end of the season.  There was also a tree that had fallen in the road and we took an axe in there and chopped it up to make easier access for the old me I hunt with! Lol!  I tell you chopping a dried up, hard tree is much more difficult than chopping a tree that has recently fallen or should I say still has some water/moisture in it.  My hands were hurting by the time we got through with this task.
After we got back to the house we got in Lee?s Hummer and rode in it for a bit.  He wanted to see how the Hummer would handle in some outdoor terrain.  So we put it to the test and drove it up and down some steep inclines, through a mud hole or two, and tested it out.  I will say that it didn?t have any problems trekking down or up any slopes and the wheels only slid one time.  Now, he did get some mud thrown up on it during the process, but I think Lee got that sprayed off pretty quickly after that though. So the Hummer did well in all situations on all terrains.  Since Lee rode the Hummer through the woods, I told him that he needed a WeHuntSC.com decal on his truck.  So we put a Johnson Graphix, vinyl WeHuntSC.com decal on the back of his Hummer.  If you see a yellow Hummer around Charleston (and smell a strong wind of cologne coming from it) then you?ve located our boy!  Feel free to stop him and spray him down with some scent killer.
Also, we?ve had numerous inquiries about logos & decals.  We get our vinyl decals from Josh Johnson of Johnson?s Graphix in Pageland, SC.  We give out WeHuntSC.com stickers that are printed out in bulk, but if you would like a transparent vinyl decal, then you need to get up with Josh at Johnson_dzines[at]hotmail.com or by phone at 843.622.5701.  Josh has our art files and can get you a nice logo together without having to contact us.  The vinyl decals aren?t really that expensive, but we just can?t afford to do them in bulk quantities.  If you want one for your vehicle I?m sure Josh can get you a nice logo for a very reasonable price.  Just be sure you talk to him about how to install it!  If you are not familiar with putting vinyl stickers on a vehicle and/or double sided tape, then it can present quite the challenge (as it did for me and Lee), but in the end we were able to figure it out.  
Duck Hunting on Christmas Eve
I returned back to the swamp on Christmas Eve morning in hopes of seeing/shooting more ducks.  Josh set the bar pretty low when he told me that they only saw 4 ducks the day before!  Turns out, we only saw 8 on this particular day and none of them were close enough to get a shot on.  We just must be holding our mouths wrong or something.  I did get another short video in the swamp together though in case you want to see the same scenery that we were seeing.  We were back in the same spot, but just with a little extra camo cloth in the boat with us.
From now on, I think I?m going to defer all my duck hunting efforts to J-Duck!  Speaking of J-Duck? he is currently on a duck hunting excursion in Arkansas and says he?s got some good blog-content for when he comes back.  I?m interested to see what he?s got going on.  Anyway, my toes were numb and we stayed in the swamp for a long time hoping to see some geese, but in the end? nothing.  It was so cold that Marty?s duck calls were freezing or something because he was having trouble with it too!  I headed back to the house again to continue the Christmas day festivities.

The Stomach Bug
I had hoped to get to go out and hunt over all the corn that we previously put out, but on Friday night something got a hold of me and sidelined me for the next 2 days.  I woke up freezing, then burning up, chills ? you know the drill. It wasn?t good and I couldn?t even get out of bed.  All day Saturday I laid in bed and slept.  My family knew it was bad as I went all day and didn?t even turn the computer on.  I couldn?t eat much and I just rested all day.  Sunday was similar except I got a little bit of strength back and was able to drive back up the road, but I was not able to go hunting.  So I missed my 4 last chances to go hunting of the season?unless I take a day off this week, but that is unlikely.  

Bookmark and Share


The J-Duck Chronicles volume I

The beginning of J-Duck Chronicles

The sunrise over Winyah Bay



J-Duck's setup on the coast



Bookmark and Share


2009 Deer Hunting Competitions Winding Down
We?ve got some pretty good deer in our online competitions for this hunting season.  Those guys (and gals) from South Carolina are coming across some nice deer!  If you think you?ve got a good buck and a good picture, then be sure to post it into one of our competitions before January 1st!  Winners of the competitions will receive:
  • A $50 gift certificate to Bass Pro Shops
  • A case of Wildlife Energy Drinks
  • A Thermacell with a carrying case
  • A Vinyl WeHuntSC.com sticker for your car/truck
I know some of you have been holding back because you think your deer isn?t the biggest on the page, but keep in mind that the biggest on the page doesn?t mean they will necessarily win!  We?re judging according to many factors, one of which is the quality of the picture!  So submit your photos regardless of if your deer is the ?biggest? on the page or not!

Bookmark and Share


Tecomate Seed Partners with WeHuntSC.com for online Food Plot Journey
We are excited to announce that we've been in communications with Tecomate Seed and will embark on a yearlong "Food Plot Journey". This "Food Plot Journey" will detail food plot management from day one and continue for a year.  We will start this journey this coming January.  
Mike Lee, the Southeastern representative from Tecomate Seed, will be making some trips to South Carolina throughout the journey with his first trip being the most important.  Mike is going to come up and instruct us on how to properly create, install, & manage a Tecomate Seed food plot.  Have no fear if you are not educated about food plot management because I HAVE NO IDEA about this and will be writing my blog entries from the perspective of a pure novice! Web guys don't spend much time out on tractors or spreading seed, but hey, I?m up for anything!  More details on the journey will come later.
Though, we do want to go ahead and mention that Mike has agreed to give a presentation that is open to the public when he comes to Pageland.  So, we will host a seminar where Mike gives a presentation on Tecomate Seed food plot products and food plot management with a question & answer session afterwards.  This will be in late April or early May and we will set a solid date as the times draws closer.  
WeHuntSC.com team member Adam Smith will spearhead the "Food Plot Journey". If you have any questions or want information on the seminar, contact him at [email protected]


Wintery mix & an 8 point
This past weekend a big winter storm covered the east coast.  With such a strong rain I wasn?t sure if I should go hunting at all, but I did end up venturing out in the wintery mix.  It was raining and very cold and in some nearby towns there was ice, sleet, & a little bit of snow.  Though, I think in Pageland it was mostly cold and raining.  Since it was wet and cold I opted to sit in a box stand where I would be shielded from elements.  I stuck the camera out the window to give you an idea of what I was seeing and hearing.  
Even though I was inside, I still somehow managed to get cold.  I sat in the stand until I couldn?t really see much more and then I headed out.  It rained the entire time I was there and, at moments, the rain was coming in sideways.  I was set to go duck hunting the next morning and so I was really hoping that the rain would stop before we went out to the swamp the next morning.
  The swamp as the sun was rising
So, early the next morning I met my fellow duck hunters over at the shed.  Luckily the driving rain from the previous day had stopped and we weren?t going to get soaked while we were out on the swamp.  Marty, Josh, and I were in the boat and Roger was posted up out on a point.  Marty and Josh and I went duck hunting 2 weeks ago (in my previous blog post about duck hunting).  This time we had an additional hunter with us.  Roger is a duck hunter from waaay back and I once saw him drop a mallard that was a country mile away!  So, leaky waiters and all, we were all ready to have at it!
The sun started rising and we had 2 mallards come in on us very early.  They landed in an opening just behind us, but we were unable to get a shot on them.  Not too long after that, random groups of wood ducks started coming in.  I would say that we saw in between 16 ? 25 wood ducks all together. Now that may not seem like a lot to you, but it is a whole lot better than only seeing 2 like we did last time!  We were only able to get decent shots off on one group of wood ducks.  Josh and I both shot twice at that group and one wood duck went down.  Time passed and a few more groups of ducks came in and landed in distant locations in the swamp.  We could see them, but we were unable to shoot at them. We stayed a little while longer in hopes of seeing some geese fly in.  We didn?t see any geese and when we went to get the wood duck, we couldn?t find it!  We had feathers everywhere, but no duck.  Though, I?m sure you?re probably saying it to yourself? but that appears to be about par for our course with duck hunting so far!  Have no fear though; we are working on some platform-based duck blinds.  If we get those successfully installed that should give us better looks and shooting lanes over the swamp.
Now switch gears to that afternoon and deer hunting?
Over the course of the afternoon Jason (the camera guy) came down because he was going to attend an engagement party (my engagement party) later that night.  If there was going to be a party, we might as well try to get some footage beforehand.  We went back out to the bean field because we needed to be able to make a quick exit if we were to make it to the party on time.
It was still cold and the rain from the previous day had left a lot of damp & muddy areas in the field.  We sat and waited for a good while.  So far it has been ?Murphy?s Law? that if we take the camera in the woods, we never get a deer on tape.  Also, when we take the camera there always comes a point to where we are unable to continue filming.  This, of course, is the best time to see a deer? right before it gets dark.  
  The box stand
Right as it was getting dark, 3 deer came out of the tree line.  If you hunt with a good scope, then you know that you can see better with the scope than you can with your naked eye right as it gets dark.  It was so dark by this point that you had to be looking through the scope to see them and even at this point it was still difficult.  While watching the group of deer for a few minutes 2 more came from the woods and one of them had a big body.  It took the bigger deer a while to continue up the tree line towards the other 3 deer.  As the deer continued walking, it was easy to tell that it was a good buck.  It took (what seemed like forever) until the deer got broad sided.  The anticipation was killing me..then BOOOOM? the first shot rang out and startled the group of 3 deer, which we think were does and they quickly fled the scene.  The white tails in the air were still visible even though it was getting dark.  The big buck ran about 15 yards and stopped momentarily.  I don?t know if he was hit or just startled, but it was just enough time to get another shot off at him and then he seemingly ran off into the darkness.  Let me back up here and say that these deer were at about 175 to 200 yards out and with it being very close to dark, it was really difficult to see or make out what was going on.  
Jason and I (with our hopes up) stomped through the mud all the way down to the tree line to see if we could find any blood.  On a side note, I looked at my phone and it was right at 6 o?clock and we had to be showered and at the/my engagement party at 7.  It was lining up to be a fun evening all ready ? My fiancĂ© would be frustrated if we were late to our own party (because of a dumb deer as she would say) At the same time, the hopes of finding a big buck were running through my mind all at once.  Holly had previously told me that if I knowingly went deer hunting before this party then I was indicating to her that deer hunting was more important than she is!  Can you feel my predicament?   Too much to juggle at one time!  I told Jason that we really had to be in a rush.
We walked down the tree line for a good 50 yards looking for any sign of a hit when I saw a white stomach.  I told Jason ?I think that?s a deer? and we both walked closer and sure enough, a nice 8 point buck was lying right there in the edge of the tree line!  It was a good sized deer?that was the good part? the other side of the story was that we had to drag him 200 yards through a very muddy field, get out without getting the Blazer stuck, somehow get him to the processor, and make it to the party all within an hour.  The excitement & stress both came at the same time.  We grabbed horns and started moving.  I?m glad we had some adrenaline helping, but even so we had to stop and take breaks about every 50 yards.  It was freezing out there and I was pouring sweat.  I was pushing to ?keep on keeping on? because in the back of my mind I knew that Holly was waiting on me at the house and she probably wasn?t as happy about the deer as we were.  We kept on pulling and dragging through the mud.  As we got closer to the box stand, my chest was getting heavy and I could feel my legs starting to shake?and I mean the kind of shake you get when you are out of shape and you start getting the ?shakes? when doing a strenuous exercise.  When we lift weights and get light-headed?we like to call it ?going green?.  I was definitely winded, light-headed, heavy-chested, sweating and shaking by the time we made it to the Blazer.  It took us about 25 minutes to drag the deer and get out of the field because we got back to the house around 6:35.  The Blazer, Jason, and I were all covered in mud.  Let?s just say that there was no ?Hey honey how are you doing hug? when we arrived back to the house.
Jason said he would take one for the team and take the deer to the processor (a whole different mission in itself since he?s not from Pageland) and in doing so would arrive late to the party.  So Jason snapped a few quick pictures of the deer while I headed for the shower with multiple women in my family looking at me with stern looks on their faces!  Here is the best pic of the deer.
I hurried up the stairs and got clean, dressed, and back downstairs within a few minutes.  I was dressed and still sweating because of how worked up I got dragging that deer.  We arrived at our party at 6:59 and it started at 7.  I was still hot and, in the back of my mind, I was worried as to whether Jason was going to make it or not.  If you?ve ever heard of Angelus, South Carolina, then you probably know that you can?t get there from here.  I sent Jason, a Charlotte, NC native out via GPS trying to find Angelus Deer Processing.  We were at our party and for the first hour I was worried about him finding the processor.  Somehow he found the processor, shot some quick videos, and made it back to the house in time to get cleaned up and make an appearance at the party.  All of these exciting events made for a memorable day/engagement party.  Even though we weren?t able to get it on tape (due to darkness) it was still a good overall hunt for us.  
  A view out of the box as the sun went down
For those of you who gave me a hard time last week, let me go on record and say that I did go to church on Sunday so that you are aware that you can go hunting and go to church within the same day!  Since we were exhausted from the previous afternoon/evening?s events we slept in on Sunday morning.  I went back out on Sunday afternoon and was hoping to have 2 deer at the processor on the same weekend, but it didn?t work out.  This time I was able to take the 4-wheeler in and let me tell you that it is a lot easier to get a 4-wheeler across that muddy field than it is a Blazer!  However, let me also say that it is a lot colder riding it back than it is riding in a Blazer!  I think it took my knuckles 15 minutes to thaw out once I got back.  I guess it?s always good to have a good, thick pair of gloves around if you ride 4-wheelers in the cold? I learned my lesson.
And that was the weekend recap.  This coming week is Christmas week and I should be able to get a few more hunting trips in.  I?m planning on doing both duck and deer hunting again.  Right here at the end of deer season, you never know what can happen!

Bookmark and Share


A long, cold winter?

In recent discussions with people, I?ve noticed a common thread.  The common thread is that we are getting ready to have a long, hard winter.  During one conversation, a wise man (as he called himself) told me that ?mother nature will take care of mother nature?.  He noted that one reason for all of the acorns this year was because nature had to get the animals healthy enough to make it through a tough winter.  This guy swears by it and even said ?Go write that on ?ye blog up?er on the internet?.  I did investigate and found other people indicating the same thing.  Here?s a link to a web site out of Boston where the writer denotes that a large acorn harvest points toward a tough winter.

A few weeks later, I had a different gentlemen tell me that the woolly worm predicted a cold and hard winter.  He said the woolly worm was really black which is a sign of the winter to come.  His comment peaked my interest since I had just had the previous conversation with the other gentlemen.  We talked about it for a while and I made a mental not to explore this concept some more.  Sure enough, I looked online and found a link to a paper in North Carolina discussing the woolly worm?s predictions.
After these conversations, I got to researching signs of a tough winter and found the following bullet points on AllExperts.com .  Some pretty compelling information that, if accurate, means we are going to have a long, hard winter.  Check it out.
  • Woolly Worms: The wider the brown band, the milder the winter.  Also the greater the number of them late in the season also indicates a mild winter.
  • Dandelions: Dandelions late in the season indicate a mild winter.
  • Fog: The more fog in August the more snow in the winter. Another month we keep an eye on for fog is October. The same is true, the more fog during this month the worse the winter. 
  • Persimmons: Cut in half, the inner part of the persimmon seed.  If this happens to look like a spoon it means grab the shovel and prepare for a snowy winter.
  • Ants: Large ant hills in the summer means a cold/snowy winter. 
  • Onion Skin: The skin of onions attempt to reveal clues about winter.   Thick skin means a cold winter with a thin skin leans towards a mild prediction.
  • Apples: The same can be said of the skin on apples that are grown. 
  • Leaves: The longer the leaves stay on the trees, the colder the winter. 
  • August Temps: Hot temperatures in the first week in August usually means a cold winter. 
  • Horses: Even a horse attempts to clue us in on upcoming weather.  If the hair on the horses mane is thin a mild winter lies ahead.   If it's thick, grab those thick winter parkas.
  • Fall Thunderstorms: If they occur in the fall that indicates a cold winter. 
  • Squirrels: The saying is if they have bushy tails it will be a cold/snowy winter.  
  • Wind: A windy fall is often followed by a cold winter. 
  • November: There is a saying that says a warm November yields a cold winter. 
  • Corn: Farmers would always look at the corn shuck... the tighter the shuck the harsher the winter. 
  • Birds: Bird watchers noted that when the birds migrate early that was a sign of a cold/snowy winter. 
  • Nuts: The more nuts and acorns the colder the winter.
  • Deer: Much like the horse, the thicker the hair on the neck the colder the winter.
  • Hornets: We've all heard that the lower the hornet's build their nests the colder the winter.  

Bookmark and Share 



Christmas parties, Fog, & Deer

This past weekend I didn?t get to hunt but twice due to the Christmas season activities? i.e. Christmas parties & a cantata.  This is fine though because it was cold and wet all weekend and I enjoy seeing everyone during the Holiday season.  So this blog post will be relatively shorter.
The first time I went in the woods this weekend was on Sunday morning (yes we hunt on Sundays!).  Sunday morning it was pretty cold.  It was also very foggy and raining.  I put on as many layers as I could and by the time I got to the stand I was sweating a little. It didn?t take long for me to cool down in this weather though!  I went to the stand that Jason (the camera guy) and I put out last Thursday.  I can tell you from the walk in that the deer are definitely back eating corn again.  Man they had every cob cleaned except for one! I took a 360 view when it got light enough so you can see the setup.

It was so cold that I was literally hunched down in the stand just trying to stay warm.  This is a 12 foot ladder stand hooked to an oak tree that is overlooking a small open area in the woods.  The tree that the stand is on backs into a downhill slope, so directly behind me is a small valley.  I had been sitting there and I wasn?t moving at all when I heard something jump, run, & gallop away very quickly.   This sound came directly from behind me.  I never moved and never even saw the deer, but I believe it was a buck as this deer was traveling solo and sounded heavy as it took off.  That deer had to have smelled me or something because I wasn?t moving at all.  He sounded to be about 20 ? 30 yards behind me coming up that small slope.  I wish he would have been to his left about 50 yards because I may have had a chance at him.  Anyway, that?s how it goes sometimes.  They come from everywhere that you can?t see!  As the deer ran off it blew 2 times.  It sounded like it paused and started blowing again.  So I took Adam?s advice and I blew back at the deer twice.  Sure enough? the deer stopped blowing at me.  Obviously this didn?t help me get a shot or anything, but at least it got that deer to be quiet.  As I think about it now, this is the second time that I?ve been in there and heard deer blowing around me.  If this happens one more time I may move the stand to a different location in there to see if it helps.  Maybe sitting out on that hilltop allows my scent to spread more.  Who knows?  If you?ve got any insight on this, respond to this post!  So about 2.5 hours was all I could take of the cold and wet and I went back to the house. 
This same morning my dad had gone down to the hunt over the soy bean field.  They just started cutting the soy beans this week and so the visibility was a little better.  He said he saw 4 deer in the field at about 350 ? 400 yards and he could tell that one was a good sized buck.  Though, he said when he put his scope up that he couldn?t find the deer.  It was so foggy that he said he thinks the scope was reflecting light or something off the mist in the air and it made it difficult for him to see anything (at that distance) in the scope.  So while he could see them with his bare eyes, he couldn?t find/see them in the scope.  Has this ever happened to you?

So Sunday afternoon I, like any good son, went back down to the soy bean field to see if I could see any deer!  I did a 360 view of the bean field on my way in so you can see the setup.





I walked through the muddy field and ended up at the box stand underneath the tree.  I like this stand because it provides a good wide area to look at, but it also makes it hard because you?re inside the box and have to move to see out of the corners.  There are 3 windows in the box stand and in order to see the areas where the windows aren?t you have to move around a little.  I usually like this stand early in the season because I can sit in there without getting torn up by mosquitoes!  Then as the season changes and leaves fall I get into the woods more.  This box stand is heavy and is constructed out of thick lumber.  Getting it down under that tree was no easy task!  Here?s what it looks like.




Once in the box stand I shot a video so you can feel the ?boxed in? feeling that you get from sitting in the stand.

I sat and sat and watched it rain and text messaged etc for a while.  I then began to wonder if I could look through the scope and see the other end of the field with the mist & fog everywhere still.  I put my scope up and I will say that it seemed cloudy inside of the scope.  If you?ve ever looked through and old scope or a cheap scope you know that it isn?t clear or if it has let moisture in the scope then it looks somewhat foggy.  This is the feeling I had when I tried to look long distances.  I also wondered if the IPhone camera could look through the scope.  I put it up and it can see through the scope, but it is hard to hold it still enough to do it.


Then right as it was starting to get dark, I saw movement of brown way down in the left corner about 350 yards (the same place my dad had seen the deer earlier that day).  I put the scope up and dialed it all the way to 9.  I watched the deer for a while hoping that a big buck would come out.  It was getting really close to dark and it was getting more and more difficult to see the deer.  I could have pulled the trigger, but it wouldn?t have been a good shot + I had to hurry to get to the Christmas Cantata at the church.  If I would have shot at the deer I know I would have looked for blood for at least 30 minutes!  So, even though I did have my safety off and wanted to, I didn?t force the shot.  I sat there for about 15 more minutes and then left.
That?s the weekend recap and next weekend will consist of both deer & duck hunting for me.  Hopefully I can get some better footage next weekend.



Bookmark and Share 





Persistence in the drought ? The weekend recap

The bumper crop of acorns, all the full moons, the sun, feeding times, the weather - all reasons I?ve heard given by hunters as to why we aren?t seeing more deer this year.  I went to our local processor this past weekend and he said things had been extremely slow in the past few days/weeks and from reading the article in the state paper, it seems that it?s a little slow everywhere.  Don?t get me wrong, deer are being harvested, but it seems that the numbers of deer harvested are not at the level that they have been in the past.  I do not take this stance from my own understanding of hunting, but rather from what I?m hearing/reading/experiencing all combined together.  Does it seem slow where you are?

Thursday morning I went hunting back out on the ridge again, but I did not see anything.  After the hunt I decided to go walk through a different section of woods that I had not scouted yet this year.  As I rode the 4-wheeler across the creek, I noticed how high the creek level was due to all the recent rains.  I stopped and took a video of the 4-wheeler and creek to give you a look at the water flowing pretty quickly.  This creek is usually very slow moving. 

After going through the creek and riding over a bunch of muddy areas, I rode up the old logging road a ways and found a place to park that looked decent.  I walked around on both sides of the old logging road for about an hour.  I saw a few rubs here and there and it was really thick in some of those places.  I finally walked into an area where the woods started opening up.  I was about 75 yards in the woods when I heard some commotion.  I looked up and 9 does where all jogging away from me through the woods.  They were all good sized does too.  It was weird because usually when this happens to me, the deer immediately dart away into the forest.  Though, this time they went away, but it wasn?t like they were in a real big hurry.  That?s how I was able to count them all.  If I would have had my rifle with me (instead of lying on the 4-wheeler) I could have shot one of them, but I probably wouldn?t have.  So, I obviously knew that deer were in this area of the woods and I continued walking around a little to see what I could see.  I saw about 7 rubs within a 30 yard radius.  On the way out from the location I also found a scrape.  I pulled out the I-Phone and dropped a pin on the Google map to mark the location.  I know, I know? technology and hunting meet each other and I ought to do it the old fashioned way right?  I hear enough of that already.  Anyway, I knew I was going to get a stand up in this location and a few hours later Jason had arrived and he helped me get the stand up.  We winched it down and put out some corn.

Thus, our camera man was in the building!  So far the trend is that whenever the camera goes in the woods, the deer don?t move too much!  (Murphy?s law at its finest).  We went hunting on Friday morning and didn?t see anything, but did see a lot of squirrels.  After the hunt we shot some short films on 4-wheelers & climbing stands.  Hopefully you?ll see those up on the site in the weeks to come.  I also got a short film of the camera guy (Jason) from my I-Phone.  See it below:


Then of course we went and got some good old Bojangles and then returned to the house.  We then went out to Central and started the state championship weekend.  It was a good time and too much to type here, but in the end we lost the state to Dillon by 1 point? again!  Man it was a tough pill to swallow and a few plays could have changed the course of the game tremendously.  I will say that this season was a good example of what quality coaching can do for a team.   You can see some of Jason?s pics from the game here

Sunday morning we were back out in the woods at the stand that we put up on Thursday.  The deer had eaten some of the corn that we put out as well.  Man it was cold Sunday morning and the thoughts, images, & replays of the game the day before lingered in my mind during the hunt?we were so close!  As the sun rose, the squirrels woke up and started running throughout the forest.  Squirrels really have no fear of heights and don?t mind being extremely loud either.  We didn?t see anything at all and about 7:45 we heard a deer blowing somewhere off in the distance.  This deer blew about 9 times, which is the most I?ve ever heard a deer blow before in the woods.  I don?t think it was blowing at us because the sounds were originating from far off.  I hoped that something had alerted the deer in another area and that it would push them towards us, but it didn?t happen. 

After some engagement pictures, I went back hunting in the afternoon.  My dad went with me this time and I put him in the stand that we had just put up and I went back to my climber.  J.E. was hunting in the soy bean field.  Right about dark-thirty I heard a shot.  I got down from my climber and went back to the truck where I had dropped off my dad.  He said he didn?t shoot and said he thought it was J.E.  I called Mr. J.E. and he said that he shot at a nice doe, but couldn?t find it.  It was so dark that he couldn?t search anymore and was going to return in the morning to see if he could find the deer. 

So that was a lot of hunting by me without seeing a deer.  Maybe I?m doing something wrong!  What about you and your area of the state?  Is it slow there?




Bookmark and Share 



Finally Cold Weather

This past weekend?s weather conditions were exactly what I have been waiting on all hunting season.  We finally received some cold and calm weather. I could barely sleep from the anticipation of that first morning hunt on Saturday.  I chose the lock-on stand across from my house because the wind was perfect and I have been getting pictures from my  trail camera all during the morning hours.  Though, these pictures have not been of a buck I would like to take, there have been some nice size does.  So I opted to take my bow and see if I could get my first bow kill.  It rained for the most part that morning, but it was a very light rain and it tapered off around mid-morning.  I just knew with the cold morning and the rain deceasing, I would see some action.  I was wrong I didn?t see anything.  I sat until about 11 a.m. and got down and grabbed my trail camera.  My camera had some good pictures, but again, not of any bucks I would like to kill.  There was one promising young six point that is going to be nice in a year or two.  But the majority of the pics were between 7:30 a.m. and 10 a.m. and had several between 1 p.m. and 2 p.m.  Even though theses deer have been coming out between 1 p.m. and 2 p.m., I opted to wait until 3 p.m. to go hunting because COLLEGE FOOTBALL was on!  Even though most games did not go the way I wanted them to, I still enjoyed watching them.  After watching a little bit of football, I went back to the same stand in hopes to kill a big doe with my bow.  Still nothing.  At this point, I was getting discouraged.  

I sat in my 20-ft buddy stand Sunday morning.  It overlooks a half-acre food plot.  I tell you, I must not be ?holding my tongue right? as they say because I got stumped again.  This was just down right depressing.  I got out around 10 a.m. so I could get ready and go to church.  I asked my dad on the way to church if he was going to hunt with me that evening and he said yes.  Well, that pumped me up because I just knew with both of us being out there one of us was bound to see something.  Though, a turn of events delayed our afternoon hunt and irritated me somewhat.  By the time I arrived to the stand that evening, I was mad enough to spit fire.  First, my mom wanted to go eat about 30 minutes away after church.  I was like whatever, that?s cool as long as me and dad are back around 2 p.m. so we can get ready to go hunting.  Well we got back right at 2 p.m., but then mom tells dad that he had to put up Christmas lights on the roof of the house.  That ticked me off!!!  First of all, if I knew we had to put the stupid lights up, I would have done it right after church.  Secondly, the lights could of waited until we finished hunting.  But NO! Mom?s way or no way!  At this point I wanted to leave dad high and dry and go hunting.  But being the GOOD  son I am (joke), I helped dad put up the lights.  We didn?t end up getting into the stands until 3:30 p.m.  Then, it just got worse.  I got back to the lock-on stand (because I?m bound and determined to shoot a doe with my bow) and dad got in the wooden stand overlooking the 2 acre food plot.  As it was getting ?deer thirty?, my mom and sister decided that they were going to finish doing some Christmas decorating outside the house.  So instead of listening to the birds chirping and the squirrels running around, I?m hearing ?Move the reef down!?  Eventually they did quiet down and I thought I finally might get to see a deer.  Nope, nothing.  Put a big ZERO up for me and my dad.  
I don?t get it.  We had the perfect weather, but no deer.  If you feel my pain, shoot me a reply or if you were lucky enough to see/kill a deer, shoot me a reply. Lastly, if you want to give me some words of encouragement or some knowledge, shoot me a reply.  Hopefully, I will have a better story for you guys next week.
Have a good week and good luck hunting,


Bookmark and Share

Wildlife Energy Drink


If you ever need a burst of energy fueled by a sweet tasting beverage, then look no further.  Wildlife Energy Drink is a unique tasting drink that definitely gives you energy.  Sometimes the WeHuntSC.com team has to pull some long hours and there have been many hunts that have been fueled by Wildlife Energy Drink.  Late night blog postings have also been written while sipping on this unique drink.  

Another thing that is attractive about this beverage is the fact that the Wildlife Energy Drink organization is a quality organization that gives back to the outdoors via conservation projects.  So when you invest in this company by buying a drink, you?re also investing, in a small way, to the outdoors.  
We've got several cases here waiting to go to the competition winners!
For more information on Wildlife Energy Drink go to their website here: www.WildlifeEnergy.com 








South Carolina Hog Problems - Contact Us

WeHuntSC.com Disabled Veteran Hunt